Thursday 13 November 2014

Sister Patterns - Mail Order 2259



I ordered recently a vintage pattern (yes, another one…). But when I saw it I couldn't resist, and as I still didn't have a 1940s peplum dress pattern in my collection, it was really necessary to make this purchase.


So today it arrived. I often try to look my "new" patterns up in the internet to see how many of them same design are out there, or if it's a rarity.

I was quite surprised when I found the same pattern again from an Etsy shop (the item had already sold earlier). Same design. Same number. Same size. But - different cover illustration. It happens sometimes that the designs on the pattern envelopes differ in colour, but I have never seen such a case before. They are like sisters.



I am wondering why there is a different issue of the pattern. The women's hairstyle on my pattern look rather like late 1940s or early 1950s, while the other ones look like earlier 1940s. It might be the pattern was issued a second time, a little bit later, and the illustration was slightly adjusted to changed hair fashion?

However, I am very excited to make this dress. I wonder if a peplum will look unflattering on me or not.

10 comments:

  1. I suspect that the second one is a reprint of the same pattern, certainly the first one look like a 40s style hair and the second one look like an 50s hair ... Anyway this pattern is wonderful !! I'm anxious to see your project on fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful pattern! I am sure the dress will be perfect :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have some more projects to finish yet… :-)

      Delete
  3. ein schöner schnitt!
    ich liebe auch die schnittsuche im netz ;0) und auch mir fehlt noch ein peplumdress...und auch oberteil oder jacke. an dem richtigen schnitt kann es nicht liegen, da habe ich einige hier liegen
    auf jeden fall bin ich auf dein kleid gespannt

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ja, liebe Frau Burow, die Suche nach Schnitten ist verführerisch und spannend zugleich. Ich bin mir zwar nicht sicher, ob bei meinem wohlgeformten Gesäss ein Peplum vor- oder eher nachteilhaft aussieht… Mal schauen, ob ich mich daran wage. Jedenfalls muss es unbedingt aus fliessendem Rayon sein!

      Delete
  4. What a clever, perfect term for when that happens, dear Doris. I'm not a sewer myself, but after many years of interacting with sewers online, vintage shopping, and using sites like Flickr and Pinterest, I too have encountered the same pattern with a different cover before myself as well. I will henceforth always call them sister patterns and love that you coined a term for when this happens.

    Big hugs,
    ♥ Jessica



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jessica, thanks for your comment! I saw some patterns where the covers had different colours, but they always used the same illustration. I think it's most amazing how such patterns were re-issued. It tells a lot about the classiness of those designs, that some years later, despite different hairstyles, the fashion of dressing was not totally different.

      And I couldn't find a different term. A pattern for me is female, although in my language it's neutral… :-)

      Delete
  5. From what I see you are going to be gorgeous in this dress, honey. Work it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry to be commenting so late, but I just read your post. I've seen a Simplicity suit pattern that was issued in the mid-'40s or perhaps as late as 1947. Then fashions changed drastically with Dior's New Look and Simplicity modified the cover illustration as well as the pattern itself in order to save the design. They lengthened the skirt and removed some of the excess in the broad, square shoulders. You can still find copies of both versions for sale. I suspect your pattern befell the same set of circumstances--although it's hard to know if the design was modified for the second version.

    ReplyDelete

Your comment is much appreciated and will be published after approval, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...