Sunday 23 October 2016

1940s Plaid Jacket

I only seldom drink Chardonnay, but this one was lovely!


Last autumn I was in desperate need for an autumnal everyday jacket. My mom had given me a wonderful double faced woolen material that had been in her stash since I can remember, and she told me it was probably from the early 70s. Perfect for my project! So I was looking for a pattern, not sure if I should try another one of my Lutterloh designs, or buy another vintage pattern. But then a very kind lady sent me a copy of a simple, yet absolutely gorgeous jacket that was exactly what I was looking for. I was eager to start immediately. Autumn in full swing, and me in need for a jacket. However, as usual, life came in between, and I got very sick, then the kids, and winter came, and the cut jacket pieces vanished in a bag and then in a pile of UFOs (unfinished objects).

Recently I decided that before starting anything new, I would first finish an UFO. So this time it was the jacket's turn.



Letzten Herbst hätte ich dringend eine herbstliche Jacke für den Alltag gebraucht. Meine Mutter hatte mir einen tollen Stoff geschenkt den sie schon ewig hatte, seit ich denken kann. Perfekt für mein Projekt! Ich brauchte nur noch einen Schnitt, unsicher, ob ich mich an einem Lutterloh-Design versuchen sollte oder etwas Passendes kaufen. Eine gute Fee hat mir dann in liebevoller Arbeit (danke liebe Susanne) einen originalen Schnitt kopiert, schlicht und doch fabelhaft und genau was ich wollte. Ich legte auch gleich los, denn es war Herbst und ich fror. Jedoch wie so oft kam das richtige Leben meinen Nähplänen in die Quere. Ich wurde ziemlich krank, dann die Kinder, und dann war Winter und die zugeschnittenen Teile wanderten in meinen UFO-Stapel. (UFOs sind unfertige Objekte.)

Kürzlich beschloss ich, bevor etwas Neues angefangen würde, sollte ein UFO fertig werden. Und so kam die Jacke endlich an die Reihe.

Unfortunately, the material was not that easy to sew as I had imagined. The double-layered material was too thick for certain parts, and even though double faced fabrics are intended to make garments without a lining, it would have been too complicated to work them in the proper way (so that the seams are hidden between the two layers). Therefore I still had to cut a front facing, and the seams are visible, but I don't mind, as they're well done and tidy. In the end, I had to fiddle around cut very carefully to have all the pieces needed for the jacket I wanted to sew, which meant: including a belt and - yes! - pockets!

Somehow I managed - but it really was a fight. For some parts I had to take the two fabric layers apart, which was very time-consuming, as they are connected with threads that had to be undone. Such a fiddly work. And I had tiny scraps of thread everywhere! But it was totally worth it.


Leider war das Material nicht so leicht zu verarbeiten wie ich gedacht hatte. Das "Double-Face"-Material war für gewisse Teile einfach zu dick (zB den Kragen mit Belag), und obwohl bei einem Stoff dieser Art die eine Seite als Futter dienen sollte, wäre es für gewisse Nähe zu umständlich gewesen, diese fachgerecht zu verarbeiten (nämlich so, dass die Säume zwischen die zwei an den Kanten geöffneten Stofflagen liegen). So musste ich dennoch einen Belag für die Vorderseite schneiden, und die Nähte innen sind sichtbar, aber da sie sauber verarbeitet sind stört es mich nicht. Zuletzt musste ich jedoch ziemlich wursteln sparsam zuschneiden, damit der Stoff für alles reicht, sprich: auch für einen Gurt und - jaaa! - Taschen!

Irgendwie hat es geklappt - aber es war ein Kampf. Für gewisse Teile musste die die beiden Stoffschichten trennen, was mühsam war, da sie mit vielen eingezogenen Fäden miteinander verbunden waren und dann in frimeliger Arbeit wieder von mir getrennt werden mussten. Ich hatte überall unzählige Fadenschnipselchen. Aber es hat sich gelohnt.


Bound pockets with flaps

Cuff details

For the first time I tried bound button-holes. Yes, after more than 20 years of serious sewing I finally found the courage to try them, and I don't regret it. I made some test samples to play around with two techniques and with colour options, in the end I went for the buttonholes bound with fabric strips I made in the green fabric of the inside. I think the solid colour "calms down" the business of the plaid. As do the collar and the pocket flaps.
And yes, there are shoulder pads. Not as big as the pattern requires, but they are definitely necessary on this design.




Zum ersten Mal habe ich mich an verstärkten Knopflöchern versucht. Genau, nach über 20 Jahren seriösen Nähens habe ich den Mut dazu aufgebracht (abgesehen von einem nicht erwähnenswerten missratenen Versuch an einem Rock), und ich bereue es nicht. Ich hatte dazu einige Tests genäht, um mit Techniken und Farben zu spielen, und zuletzt gab es dann die Version mit zwei Paspelstreifen im Grün der Innenseite. Die uni Farbe beruhigt ein wenig das Karomuster, ebenso wie beim Kragen und den Taschenpatten.
Und ja, es hat auch Schulterpolster. drin Nicht so grosse wie im Muster vorgesehen, aber sie sind definitiv notwendig bei diesem Schnitt.




For once I had absolutely no matching buttons at home. Would you believe? I have two huge boxes stuffed with buttons, new and vintage ones, but none would match. So on one of our very rare trips to the city I bought some (my husband help me choosing them, and I'm very happy with our choice). I also cut a belt from the remaining scraps, and I had a matching green vintage buckle, but the belt has to be sewn yet.

Für einmal hatte ich keinen passenden Knopf in meinem Vorrat. Ist das zu glauben? Zwei riesige Kisten voller Knöpfe, alte und neue, und keiner passt. Bei einem unserer sehr spärlichen Ausflüge in die Stadt habe ich welche gekauft (mein Mann hat bei der Wahl geholfen, und ich bin sehr zufrieden damit). Ich habe aus einem Rest noch einen Gurt ausgeschnitten, der dann eine grüne Vintage-Schnalle bekommt, aber er ist noch nicht fertig.

Me and my kids on the top, enjoying the sun!

This brooch from "The Pink Bungaloo" is the perfect match!

The first time I wore the jacket was when we went to see my parents-in-law. A young lady stopped me on the street and wanted to know where I had the jacket from, because she thought it was gorgeous. She couldn't believe it when I told her I had made it - and she obviously was disappointed. I felt quite chuffed, as usually people stare at me, or grin, or laugh at me, as I look and dress different from from the crowd. So for once it was different.

Als ich die Jacke vor ein paar Tagen zum ersten Mal trug, bei einem Ausflug zu meinen Schwiegereltern, sprach mich eine jüngere Frau auf der Strasse an und wollte wissen, woher ich diese tolle Jacke hätte. Sie konnte kaum glauben, dass ich sie selbst gemacht habe, und war etwas enttäuscht. Mir hat das geschmeichelt, denn sonst gaffen die Leute ja meist oder grinsen doof, weil ich mich anders als die Masse kleide. Für einmal war es anders, das hat mich gefreut.



Feeling very British and tourist-y...

I also wore the jacket on a trip to the mountains yesterday. It was the last holiday weekend of our kids, and the weather forecast promised a sunny day in the Alps. We drove to the Lauterbrunnental in  Canton Berne, where I come from from my mother's side. This place with its many waterfalls once was a favorite destination for British tourist, and it's said to have been the inspiration for J. R. R. Tolkien's Rivendell. We hiked along the entire valley and then we took several cableways to the very top, the Schilthorn. (We had coupons for a super-special offer that cost us a ridiculous fraction of the normal fee, which is, in my humble opinion, exorbitant.) This place once was a filming location for one of the Bond movies (the one with the infamous George Lazenby). Sorry, honestly, I don't give a damn for James Bond movies, so I could have renounced to the movie stuff that was on exposition up there, but - the view, the weather, the mountains, all was simply breathtakingly beautiful. We had the most splendid sunshine, it was freezing cold (it was below zero), but my double-layered wool jacket kept me cozy and warm. I couldn't be happier with it, it's certainly more than an autumn garment, even though the colours matched the autumn trees so perfectly.




Ich trug das gute Stück auch auf unserem Ausflug in die Berge gestern. Es war das letzte Ferienwochenende unserer Kinder, und das Wetter versprach, in den Alpen ganz fantastisch zu sein. Wir fuhren ins Lauterbrunnental im Kanton Bern, wo ich mütterlicherseits herkomme. Dieser Platz mit den zahlreichen Wasserfällen war einst bei britischen Touristen sehr beliebt und soll auch die Inspiration für J. R. R. Tolkien gewesen sein, als er Rivendell (Bruchsal) in seiner Ring-Trilogie beschrieb. Wir wanderten durch das ganze Tal und fuhren dann mit etlichen Bergbahnen ganz hinauf zum Schilthorn. (Wir hatten Ermässignungsgutscheine und fuhren für einen lächerlichen Bruchteil des sonst üblichen Preises, der meines Erachtens masslos überteuert ist.) Dieser Ort war einst Filmlocation für einen James-Bond-Film (jener mit dem berüchtigten George Lazenby). Eigentlich habe ich mit Bond-Filmen nicht so viel am Hut, weshalb mir der ganze Bond-Kram der ausgestellt war ebensogut hätte gestohlen bleiben können, doch - die Aussicht, das Wetter, die Berge, das alles war atemberaubend schön und einfach nur herrlich. Wir hatten den wunderbarsten Sonnenschein, es war saukalt (im Minusbereich), aber meine doppelschichtige Wolljacke hielt mich warm und behaglich. Ich könnte nicht glücklicher sein, und es ist deshalb sicher mehr als nur eine herbstliche Übergangsjacke, die ist auch wintertauglich. Doch farblich hat sie zu den Bäumen ganz prima gepasst.





Eiger, Mönch and Jungfrau




The "Eiger" from Mürren
It's a bit unusual to see people wearing plaid jackets or even coats nowadays, especially in my country, but I imagine it was common in earlier decades. (My stress comment: "Oh, you made a lumberjack jacket.") Plaid is regarded as something rustic, and I all too often realise people don't see the beauty of such fabrics (I'm an avid tartan lover). I had to overcome a certain inhibition for the first outing, as I knew I was going to stand out of the crowd. As I'm planning to make another plaid garment very soon, I was trying to find some fellow plaid wearers from earlier times - look at all the beauties!

Heute ist es ja ein bisschen ungewohnt, karierte Jacken oder gar Mäntel zu sehen, besonders in meiner Gegend. (Kommentar meiner Schwester: "Oh, eine Holzfällerjacke.) Früher war das anders, heute gilt Karo eher rustikal, und immer wieder stelle ich fest, dass die Leute beispielsweise  mit der Schönheit schottischer Tartans, die ich innig liebe, nichts anfangen können. Ich musste dann auch etwas Mut aufbringen, weil man damit ja wirklich aus der Masse heraussticht. Weil ich noch etliche karierte Stoffe zu verarbeiten habe, wollte ich dann auch gerne schauen, ob es alte Fotos mit Karokleidung gibt - und schaut mal die tollen Sachen!





The last picture is very special. It's from a fellow FB member, I guess it's the lady's mother-in-law, and look at the fabulous coat she's wearing! So elegant - it makes me want to sit down and sew a plaid coat with a fur collar. I have to drool over this picture again and again. It's the epitome of a cozy, unique and sporty, yet elegant coat.

Das letzte Bild ist etwas ganz Besonderes. Es ist die Schwiegermutter einer Bekannten, die ich auf FB kennengelernt habe, und schaut mal den tollen Mantel den sie trägt. Der ist so schön, auch der Pelzkragen dazu, und ich werde nicht müde, das Bild zu bewundern. Für mich der Inbegriff eines kuscheligen, einmaligen und sportlichen, aber zugleich eleganten Mantels.




Pattern: McCall 6374 (1940s)
Fabric: Vintage woolen double-faced fabric from my mother's stash
Brooch: Mid-century reproduction by "The Pink Bungaloo", also on Etsy
Earrings: Vintage bakelite, bought on Ebay
Denims: Freddies of Pinewood
Photographs: my husband (thank you!) and me


10 comments:

  1. Oh wow, that jacket is marvellous! Great work. And those views, beautiful mountains. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for your kind words. And yes, the mountains are fantastic this time of year. I don't know if you have moutons in Suomi. Where I'm living, we only have hills (I call it the "lowlands"), so the mountains are special for me. But just looking at them makes me grateful that I'm living here.

      Delete
  2. I have some Plaid wool set aside to make the same style of jacket! I love how yours turned out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment. I always imagined that a jacket like this should be made of a plaid fabric, and I wish I would find a similar material in a different colour. It's not very common here, most people dress in solid colours (mainly black) in winter, so I rather pop out of the crowd. People back in the 40s and 50s wore a lot more plaid coats than today. I should include some pics of vintage winter coats and jackets.

      Delete
  3. Hachs, die ist aber schön geworden! Und bei deinen Bildern will ich auch sofort in die Berge und spazieren gehen :) Liebe Grüße, Zuzsa

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Zuzsa, danke für Deinen Besuch hier. Die Berge sind wirklich immer toll, um Energie zu tanken, auch wenn man müde von der langen Fahrt zurück kommt. Wir wohnen leider im Flachland...
      Liebe Grüsse, Doris

      Delete
  4. Tolle Jacke, tolle Bilder und diese Details...
    Besonders gut gefallen mir die Knopflöcher, sehr sehr sauber sieht das aus. An so etwas hab ich mich noch nicht getraut, aber wenn es bei Dir 20 Jahre gedauert hat, hab ich noch ein paar Jährchen Zeit.
    Viel Spaß beim Tragen brauche ich gar nicht wünschen, auf den Bildern sieht man Dir den bereits an!

    Liebe Grüße Carola

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liebe Carola, die Knopflöcher sind halt eher aufwändig, zeitlich, und man muss exakt arbeiten, sonst wird das nichts. Insofern sind die auf mit weniger als 20 Jahren Näherfahrung machbar. Ist auch ein Umdenken, weil ich sonst die normalen Knopflöcher immer zum Schluss mache, quasi als Dessert. Diese gebundenen musst Du dann machen, wenn Du den Besatz nähst. Und sie brauchen wirklich viel Zeit.

      Und ja, die Jacke ist eine richtige "Gute-Laune-Jacke"!

      Liebe Grüsse aus der Schweiz!

      Delete
  5. I just adore how your jacket turned out! Of course plaid is always amazing, but you've made this pattern up beautifully and I love the hunter green bound buttonholes. I feel like I should learn how to make them, your jacket is a perfect example of how fabulously they can finish off a garment and make it really couture. ❤

    xox,
    bonita of Lavender & Twill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Bonita, your kind comment makes me very happy, as sometimes I am not sure how "good" my garments look. Of course I'm proud to sew my own clothing, and I want it to look different from "off the rack stuff", but I don't want people to realize it's self-made because it looks not well done. I'm always relieved when fellow sewers think it looks good, as they would look in a different way at my stuff than other people would do. So thank you again.
      You really should try those bound buttonholes. They ARE time-consuming, indeed, and you cannot do them at the end of the project. I always was so terrified to try them, but now I'm happy because I know I actually can make them and they are just the perfect finish on such a garment. Especially with heavier fabrics, they are great. They could be a tad smaller, but I didn't knew what kind of buttons I would chose (or, the other way round, the buttons could be slightly bigger).

      Best wishes and enjoy the last days of October, Doris

      Delete

Your comment is much appreciated and will be published after approval, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...