Friday, 17 February 2017

Vintage Inspired Child's Pierrot Costume



Yesterday in the late morning I realized with panic that the next day my son will have a carnival party at his kindergarten. More than a year ago I have made a bat or vampire costume for Halloween that still fit him, but would be far too warm to be worn indoors. I love my kids, I love costumes, I love sewing, no question I had to make urgently something new for him to wear.

Gestern morgen stellte ich mit Schrecken fest, dass schon am kommenden Tag die Fasnacht-Party im Kindergarten meines Sohnes ansteht. Vor über einem Jahr hatte ich für ihn eine Fledermaus-Kostüm genäht, das ihm zwar noch passte, aber für drinnen viel zu warm war. Ich liebe meine Kinder, ich liebe Nähen, ich liebe Kostümnähen, deshalb stand es ausser Zweifel dass ich noch rasch etwas Neues anfertigen würde.




I had a quick look at some pictures on internet. Having a harlequin print in my stash that was not the best quality, I decided to combine it with a black left-over from another project. As I didn't have a pattern, I was happy to find this early 1950s pattern (could also be late 40s) that also came along with a picture of the back envelope. (I love old patterns as they show the actual pattern pieces.) So it was a "pierrot" costume and vintage - double win!

Ich schaute rasch ins Internet. Zu Hause hatte ich einen Harlekin-Stoff (schlimmstes Kauferlebnis je - die Ladenkette créasphère kann mich definitiv von der Kundenliste streichen!) der nicht die beste Qualität war, und ich beschloss, diesen mit einem Rest eines andern Projekts zu kombinieren. Ich hatte keinen Schnitt, deshalb war ich froh, dass ich diesen Schnitt aus den frühen 1950ern fand (vielleicht auch Ende 40er), zu dem es sogar ein Bild von der Rückseite des Musters gab. (Ich liebe die alten Schnitte, da konnte man immer auch die eigentlichen Schnittteile sehen.) Ein Pierrot-Kostüm UND Vintage - doppelter Gewinn!

The patterned fabric was very soft and wrinkles sadly a bit too easily, I guess it's rayon. It would be OK for the sleeves and the pants. The black solid cotton was a tiny bit stiffer, so I couldn't combine the two fabrics and make the blouse half black, half patterned. For this part of the costume I drafted the pattern after the little pattern sketch on the envelop. Sewing pants regularly for my kids, I didn't need a pattern, I just had to make sure the legs would turn out a bit puffier.

Der gemusterte Stoff war sehr weich und knitterte leider sehr leicht, ich denke es ist Viskose. Das würde sicher noch gehen für die Ärmel und die Hose. Der schwarze Stoff hatte etwas mehr Stand, deshalb konnte ich nicht eine Hälfte des Oberteils schwarz und die andere gemustert machen, dazu waren die Materialien zu unterschiedlich. Für dieses Teil entwarf ich meinen eigenen Schnitt nach der Skizze auf dem Schnittmuster-Umschlag gemäss den Massen meines Sohnes. Die Hose war einfach, da ich für die Kinder viele Hosen nähe, sie musste bloss etwas weitere Beine haben.




I started cutting the fabric at 2 p.m. and finished both garments at 8 p.m. (in the meantime I had to make homework with my daughter, cook dinner, wash some laundry...), so it was a real quick project, and for desert I made the little hat. I ironed some of the patterned fabric on some thick felt (the kind of iron-on material you would use for applications) and made a red pompom. I was very proud as I didn't have to work the whole night through as usual when I do this kind of last-minute projects, and I used all materials from my stash, I didn't have any issues, not even with my certainly not perfect self-drafted pattern, and -last but not least at all - my wee man looked so happy and cute when he put on his costume today. I would say this project counts totally for my “sewwhatyougot challenge, this is no. 2, and yes, I still owe you no. 1.

Gegen 14h begann ich mit dem Zuschnitt, beide Teile waren um 20h fertig (wobei ich in der Zwischenzeit noch die Hausaufgaben mit meiner Tochter gemacht habe, Abendessen gekocht, Wäsche gewaschen...). Ein wirklich schnelles Projekt, und zum Dessert machte ich noch das Hütchen. Ich fixierte den gemusterten Stoff mit Vliesofix auf dicken Bastelfilz und machte noch einen Pompom aus rotem Garn. Ich bin ziemlich stolz weil ich ausnahmsweise mal keine Nachtschicht machen musste (wie sonst jeweils bei solchen kurzfristigen Projekten), weil ich alle Materialien bereits hier hatte, weil es keine Probleme mit dem sicherlich nicht perfekten selbst entworfenen Schnitt gab, und am meisten weil mein kleiner Mann heute Morgen so glücklich und süss ausgesehen hat, als ich ihm das Kostüm anzog. Ich würde mal sagen, dass das ganz eindeutig für meine #sewwhatyougot Challenge zählt, dies ist schon das zweite Projekt. Und ja, ich schulde Euch noch das erste. 


My little man and his proud big sister

Pattern: self-drafted after Advanced 701
Fabrics: from my stash
Mask: purchased

Edit: For those who, like me, love to dig a bit into the history of patterns...
I looked up the pattern (now that the sewing frenzy for the costume is over) to see if I could find out more about this pattern, and it seems to be very interesting. There was also a children's version, Advanced 707, and both patterns were reissued in the 50s. The first issue was from 1949.


The late 40s children's version

The 50s reissued versions




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...