Monday 7 May 2018

The Victory Rag



You are right. I did write "rag". It was supposed to be blouse, but it's rather a rag. It's not the pattern or my sewing skills. It's the fabric. I was drooling over this gorgeous design on Spoonflower since many months. When I finally got the fabric, I was bit sad the colours didn't look as bright and intense as on the original items pictures. I could live with this, as maybe it was due to my monitor. Whatever. I later washed my fabric as I planned to make a blouse of it (I always prewash them). When I was cutting the garment pieces in the evening, I suddenly realized there were stripes all over the fabric were the print was faded. Like wrinkles. I was so gutted - imagine, I was truly shocked. I can assure I DO have experience with all kinds of fabrics, and also with laundry, and never before, not even with vintage materials, have I been so disappointed. Of course, I have seen this before on very cheap materials, especially on my kids clothes, but then, these never last long, and they're not vintage, and they are not meant to be special wardrobe staples for the upcoming years. So no loss. But Spoonflower is certainly not the cheapest supplier, compared for example with all those wonderful US quilting cotton manufactures that offer lovely quality fabrics in good printing quality. I was really upset. Best I could do, as I already had cut into the fabric and return shipping would certainly would have been too expensive and too troublesome (I wonder if they do accept return at all and do give refunds?), was to take pictures of the ruined material and write a complain. I was crestfallen, of course, but I deeply hope they do read my complain and do really something about the quality. For other customers' happiness sake.

Richtig, da steht "rag" was soviel wie Fetzen, Lumpen bedeutet. Eigentlich als Bluse konzipiert. Es lag absolut nicht am Schnitt, noch an meinen Nähkünsten. Ich hatte dieses Design schon lange immer bewundert bei Spoonflower. Als ich es endlich den Stoff erhielt, war ich zuerst schon etwas resigniert, dass die Farben weitaus weniger intensiv als auf den Beispielbildern war. Was ich akzeptierte, es konnte ja auch monitorbedingt sein. Als ich dann aber den Stoff am Abend nach dem Vorwaschen zuschnitt, stellte ich plötzlich fest, dass er von zahlreichen Linien überzogen war, an denen die Farbe ausgebleicht war. Wie Knitter. Ich war total geknickt, fast geschockt. Der Stoff ruiniert. Nun habe ich mit meinen 40+ Jahren schon etliche Erfahrung mit Wäsche, was auch das Waschen von delikateren Materialien wie zB Vintage Stoffen und Kleidern einschliesst. Natürlich habe ich solche Waschspuren schon bei recht billigen Kleidern, v.a. der Kinder, erleben müssen, aber dort hat es mich weniger gestört, da diese Stücke ja auch meist nicht lange halten und oft zerschlissen sind, bevor sie zu klein werden. Doch Spoonflower ist ja nicht gerade der billigste Anbieter von Stoffen, verglichen zB mit all den wunderbaren Baumwollstoffen die sonst in den USA produziert werden. Ich war masslos enttäuscht. Ich konnte nur noch den "Schaden" fotografieren und eine Beschwerde an Spoonflower schreiben, da der Stoff schon angeschnitten war. Ich frage mich überhaupt, ob Retouren möglich sind, aber die Kosten und der Aufwand hätten sich vermutlich auch kaum gelohnt. Ich wollte das aber nicht einfach so hinnehmen, schon allein um anderer Kunden Zufriedenheit Willen. 




There might be some designs that work out well also in cottons, maybe it depends from the colours and nuances of certain designs. However, with all the knowledge of the 21st century they should be able to get better results also on cotton fabrics. When I think of all my true 1940s and 1950s materials that look like new, there's no fading, no bleeding. The design is awesome, like so many others on Spoonflower, but in the end it was totally ruined. But maybe I'm too picky and it's totally ok that fabrics look like this after washing... Upon my complaint I was told that very saturated, dark colours don't get good results on cottons, but synthetic materials are not for me. At least their customer service is good, and I could order a similar design in less dark colors as a substitute.

Vielleicht fällt ja das Resultat bei gewissen Designs ganz gut aus, möglicherweise kommt es auf die Farben und Nuancen an. Trotzdem, mit dem Know-How des 21. Jahrhunderts sollte es doch wirklich möglich sein, dass auch diese Firma bessere Ergebnisse liefern kann. Andere können es auch, und wenn ich denke, wie farbintensiv meine alten Stoffe aus den 1940ern und 50 gern sind, kein Verbleichen, kein Ausbluten, nichts. Das Design ist ganz fantastisch ist, wird aber total ruiniert. Vielleicht bin ich ja auch nur zu heikel und es ist völlig ok so? Auf meine Beschwerde hin sagte man mir, dunkle satte Farben würden auf Baumwolle weniger gut ausfallen als auf Kunstfasern, aber diese trage ich nicht. Wenigstens konnte ich als Ersatz einen ähnlichen Stoff in einer besseren Qualität bestellen, der dann doch etwas besser ausfällt. 




Long story short told, and to get back to the subject of this post: I made another Smooth sailing blouse of it (yes, once more, sorry if I seem boring, but due to my life circumstances I need more blouses currently), adding self-made red piping. The vintage buttons were a gift from lovely Italian lady. Ah well... The blouse might not be a winner, but underneath a cardigan it won't look too bad.

Der langen Rede kurzer Sinn, oder: um auf das eigentliche Thema dieses Posts zurückzukommen: ich hab eine Smooth Sailing Bluse daraus gemacht. Ja, ich weiss, schon wieder. Ich kann auch anderes nähen, keine Sorge, aber im Moment brauche ich einfach aufgrund meiner Lebensumstände viele Blusen und dieser Schnitt passt für mich prima, er bietet genug Raum über meine breiten Schulterblätter und sieht adrett und feminin aus. Die Vintage-Knöpfe waren ein Geschenk von einer netten Dame aus Italien. Naja... Die Bluse mag kein Gewinner sein, wird es aber im Alltag durchaus tun.



Fabric: Spoonflower (Basic Cotton not recommendable), design by eloise varin (highly recommendable)
Pattern: Smooth Sailing by Wearing History
Piping: selfmade
Buttons: true 1vintage, gifted
Brooch: WW2 Victory brooch, I guess from Ebay ages ago
Bakelite Hoops: vintage




No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comment is much appreciated and will be published after approval, thank you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...